UOP COM 440 Week 4 Individual Assignment Confidentiality of Sources Paper Updated
Check this A+ tutorial guideline at
For more classes visit
COM 440 Week 4 Individual Assignment Confidentiality of Sources Paper Updated
• Resources: Mass Media Law
• Prepare a 1,400 to 1,700-word three-part research paper. Address the specifics within your paper of each of the following questions below as they pertain to Branzburg v. Hayes, Confidentiality, and Shield Laws.
o Branzburg v. Hayes (Ch. 9)
• What did the court hold in Branzburg regarding a journalist’s right to withhold confidential sources?
• How have lower courts interpreted the Branzburg decision based on whether the cases involved civil, criminal, or grand jury proceedings?
o Confidentiality (Ch. 10)
• Summarize the approach that journalists should take pertaining to promising confidentiality to sources.
• What advice should journalists give to sources who demand confidentiality?
o Shield Laws (Ch. 10)
• There are no uniform shield laws. They vary from state to state and vary between courts. Journalists typically operate at a local level where they may or may not be protected by state shield laws.
• What protections do shield laws provide, if any, in addition to federal constitutional protections supporting non-disclosure of news sources? Explain.
• Format your paper according to APA standards.